Friday, September 3, 2010

Compensatory techniques

While on my 4th placement (neuro rehab) I often had clients who had hemiplegia or hemiparesis. After a couple of seperate sessions I had with two male clients (one a stroke survivor and the other had MS)  I noted both of their opinions toward dressing. They both had a high regard for indepedence, and told me of their multiple frustrations of tying their shoes in a way that was presentable, easy to administer strong during wear and easy to undo. This piqued my curiosity and I asked my supervisor if there were any resources to do with techniques for tying shoelaces one handed. There were a few pictorial examples which I showed to my clients and as a joint session the three of us trialled this version. I was the only one to achieve the paper version. This would not do. And I felt I really need to know a method really well in order to confidently assist them.

I found a video similar to this and asked permission to access youtube during work hours for my clients. I practiced the technique at home multiple times. I remember it took both men about 4 sessions to master this skill and they were really pleased with the results. So was I.
In society, shoelace tying is a milestone often associated with child development. We may not often look at a person's shoes, but to these men, the ability to independently tie their shoelaces was very important and was a skill that also encouraged hand and finger dexterity and tactile perception. It increased their motivation and self efficacy and gave me (the student) a teaching AND learning opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment